Error executing Move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1

This issue occurs when you try to move a lot of Public folders at once with move-PublicFolderBranch.ps1 Script in Exchange 2013.

WARNING: An unexpected error has occurred and a Watson dump is being generated: The call to’net.tcp://contoso.local/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService contoso.local (15.0.1104.4caps:1FFF)’ failed. Error details: The formatter threw an exception while trying to deserialize the message: Error in deserializing body of request message for operation ‘ValidateAndPopulateRequestJob’. The maximum string content length quota (262144) has been exceeded while reading XML data. This quota may be increased by changing the MaxStringContentLength property on the XmlDictionaryReaderQuotas object used when creating the XML reader..The call to ‘net.tcp://contoso.local/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService td-contoso.local(15.0.1104.4 caps:1FFF)’ failed. Error details: The formatter threw an exception while trying to deserialize the message: Error in deserializing body of request message for operation ‘ValidateAndPopulateRequestJob’. The maximum string content length quota (262144) has been exceeded while reading XML data. This quota may be increased by changing the MaxStringContentLength property on the XmlDictionaryReaderQuotas object used when creating the XML reader..
+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-PublicFolderMoveRequest], CommunicationErrorPermanentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Exchange.Net.CommunicationErrorPermanentException,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewPublicFolderMoveRequest
+ PSComputerName        : contoso.local

I checked almost everyware but could not find a solution to this. No clue were this MaxStringContentLength property can be changed.

Finaly I stumpled on the MsExchangeMailboxReplication.exe.config located under “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin”

blog

I went there to edit some values which were already correct , then I used ctrl + F to search for the value “262144” and Voala! Found that the MaxStringContentLength is actually there. So I give it a try and changed the value to 8388608, I assume that the value needs to be even of 2. All other values in this config are. So 8388608 is 32 times 262144. There two rows were MaxStringContentLength should be changed. Use find.

Saved the config file, restarted MsexchangeMailboxReplication service and Exchange Host service.

After that the script run without errors and the move was Successful!

This was “I feel lucky troubleshooting blind shot” 😀

 

 

 

Exchange 2013 CU installation Failed after Server Crash/Power outage

Sometimes after server crash durring exchange CU installation there is seriouse issues. In this case CU 11 cannot be installed . Setup was crashing with error. in Exchange setuplogs we see:

[1] 0. ErrorRecord: Der Pfad “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\UnifiedMessaging\grammars” kann nicht gefunden werden, da er nicht vorhanden ist.
 [1] 0. ErrorRecord: System.Management.Automation.ItemNotFoundException: Der Pfad “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\UnifiedMessaging\grammars” kann nicht gefunden werden, da er nicht vorhanden is

Obviouse solution is to create the missing folder. Created a folder called grammars under the following location

         %Exchange install path%\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\UnifiedMessaging

unfortunately we have to remove the watermark in registry on following location :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange server\V15\Unified Messaging

now the setup can be rerunned and will complete successfuly.

 

Exchange 2013 – 451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address respondet with “421 4.3.2 Service not available”

Recently I had an issue with all distribution lists on Exchange 2013 Server. All E-Mails send to DL are Stuck in Mailqueue with error : : 451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address respondet with “421 4.3.2 Service not available”

Used get-ServerComponentState -Identity servername . and found that the “Hubtransport component”is in draining state.

The issue was resolved with:

 Set-servercomponentstate –component Hubtransport –state Active –requestor maintenance

For more infromation:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/09/26/server-component-states-in-exchange-2013.aspxhttp://blogs.technet.com/b/nawar/archive/2014/03/30/exchange-2013-maintenance-mode.aspx